Bitter gourd - Rich in Vitamin C, potassium, copper, iron and also in phosphorus and sodium, alkaline salts, insulin
It effectively lowers blood sugar.
BITTER GOURD / KARELA SABZI/HAGALKAYI PALYA/GOJJU
2 meduim sized bittergourd- finely diced
1 medium sized onion-finely chopped
4-5 garlic pods- corsely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes-finely chopped
1tbspn. sambar powder/1tspn.chillie powder and 1tspn.corriander powder
1tspn. garam masala powder
1tspn. mustard seeds
salt as per taste
fresh chopped corriander for garnishing
1. wash bitter gourd Cut and remove the seeds. Smear salt, turmeric and 1tspn of lemon juice and set aside for 1/2 hr. Wash again and drain.This procedure will reduce the bitterness of the vegetable.
2. Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, add mustard seeds once it splutters add chopped onion, garlic and saute them till translucent.
3. Add bitter gourd, add salt and cook them till it becomes soft.
4. Add sambar powder and saute.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 6-7 minutes.
6. Add garam masala and cook for 2min
Garnish with fresh chopped corriander
Serve it hot with chapatis/phulkas or rice.
If you want it sweet and sour -you can add 1tspn -tamrind juice and jagerry